Saturday, January 09, 2010

F FOR FAKE


Wikipedia: "F for Fake (French: Vérités et Mensonges) is the last major film completed by Orson Welles. Initially released in 1974, it focuses on Elmyr de Hory's recounting of his career as a professional art forger; de Hory's story serves as the backdrop for a fast-paced, meandering investigation of the natures of authorship and authenticity, as well as the basis of the value of art. Far from serving as a traditional documentary on Elmyr de Hory, the film also incorporates Welles's companion Oja Kodar, notorious "hoax-biographer" Clifford Irving, and Orson Welles himself, in an autobiographical role."

4 comments:

Steve Fly Agaric said...

Thanks Bobby, my first viewing of the movie I have read about over and over in RAW's work. The 'Movie of lies' that help truths shine through. Cheers Bobby.

Bogus Magus said...

I got lucky with this, and saw it in a cinema the first time (I like the peaceful concentration a cinema brings - although I didn't share the lovely old cinema space with a lot of people).
Probably an afternoon showing at the Academy Cinema in Oxford Street ... where I used to go watch Buster Keaton, etc.
I love Orson on screen, any time...

Steve Fly Agaric said...

Here's a great review by our own Purple Gooroo (Sean)
MQ12

Unknown said...

Memories... I was lucky enough to have met Elmyr de Hory in Ibiza and he was a a man too nice for the world he was born into.
Brummbaer

Webring

Member of the NEW TRAJECTORIES webring